Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Why-nosaur

 The 9th prompt for a poetry submission at Deadlines for Writers was "Why?" Written at deadline time, here is the poem I submitted. I posted it with this teaser: My youngest grandson, Ethan, was a typical inquisitive three-year-old. Here's a day in the life...

The Why-nosaur

A three-year-old’s life is full of “why?”

And moms must have a ready reply.

Every morning, he’s up with the sun,

A day of questions has just begun.

#

During morning routine, questions abound.

I ate red and white; why’s my poop brown?

My teeth are not dirty; I brushed them last night.

Why is that lightbulb “way uppy high”?

#

The day moves on, and meal-prep looms,

And the kitchen is where the learning resumes.

Why do onions make you cry?

What makes clouds float in the sky?

#

Do I have to be nice to kids I don’t like?

Do you know if God has a bike?

Why does my tummy go up and down?

How can I see blue when my eyes are brown?

#

It’s getting late, and it’s time for bed.

But questions still fill that three-year-old head.

Did you really like that picture I drew?

Why can’t I stay up late like you?

#

 “Shhh, go to sleep, we must get some rest.

Why? Just because!  Mommy knows best!

No more questions now. Not one. No more.

Sleep well, my sweet little Why-nosaur!"


No comments: