Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Fibs - A Poetry Challenge

Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect asks us to write a poem every Monday, using a form that she chooses. This week she has chosen the "Fib" -- a short-poem form that is based on the Fibonacci number sequence. o, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... where each number is the sum of the previous two. The numbers indicate the number of syllables in each line. Terrell pointed out that the zero precludes a title; however, I took the liberty of giving each of mine a title. Why don't you join the fun?

Here are two of my efforts:

Endeavor
Stay
Strive
Endure
Persevere
The prize is in sight
Determination will claim it.

Spending Time
Hate?
War?
No time!
Travesty!
Eternity waits --
Spend your time (invest it) in LOVE!

This poem inspired by Emily Dickinson’s poem printed below:

I Had No time to Hate

I HAD no time to hate, because
The grave would hinder me,
And life was not so ample I
Could finish enmity.


Nor had I time to love; but since
Some industry must be,
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me.

No comments: