Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sunday Seven - 8th Edition Blessings of the Week

Seven Things I Am Thankful for This Week
William Wordsworth wrote:
The World Is Too Much With Us, Late And Soon

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!....
For the rest of the poem, click here.
This week the world has been too much with us. The stress of living has stolen much of the joy God intended for us; yet there have been moments when we were able to appreciate the joy that comes not from circumstances, but from inner knowledge of whose we are.
I am especially thankful today for:
1. imagination. Thanks to imagination, I was able to take a long walk on the beach while I sat in my dermatologist's waiting room Thursday. The sky was almost royal blue, and the water glistened like a turquoise ring. The sun shone down gently as a soft breeze blew my hair away from my face. The warm sand filled the spaces between my toes, and water lapped over my feet as I walked. Oh the welcome respite from the tedium and stress of daily life!
2. memory. Always one of life's big blessings, Memory walked with me this week through dark days and provided sweet companionship. Memory helped me share days with my younger brother (who celebrated his 60th birthday this week) as we whiled away time on summer afternoons in the abandon of childhood. Memory and I relived newly-wed days when money was scarce, but love was abundant. Memory brought back time with my father (now in heaven for 20 years!) as we worked to refinish an antique trunk and he passed along his skills to an eager and younger version of me. Memory and I sat in lawn chairs during many Spring afternoon at ballparks while my young husband and children practiced and played softball and baseball in God's great outdoors. Thank you, Memory, you have been a good companion and a true friend this week.
3. God's Love. When I am depressed and do not feel His love, it is still there. I am grateful that my salvation does not depend on my feelings. My salvation is through His grace and love.
4. Family. Monday, three of my sisters and my mother prepared a meal for my brother's birthday. I just showed up and was received with joy and love though I contributed nothing to this occasion. Where else does one find this kind of acceptance?
5. Children and Grandchildren. Our grandchildren call to tell us about their activities that we cannot attend because it is important to them that we share their lives. This is affirmation of our worth. Our children want to talk to us on the phone and call just to talk. What a blessing!
6. Words. When life is "too much with us", using words to clarify thoughts and express emotions helps to lower the stress level. I am grateful for the ability to write and for fellow bloggers and other friends who read what I write and respond.
The words of fellow travelers have lifted my spirits more than once this week. King Solomon said in Proverbs 11:17, "Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destoyed when you are cruel." Mother Teresa said, "What I do you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do. The needs are great, and none of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful."
7. Another week lived. I am 65 years old. Many have not had (or will not have) the privilege of living so many years.
Sunday Seven is a weekly meme for giving thanks and/or for noting important events in our lives. Go here for details and to find other participating blogs.

No comments: