Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Seven (3rd Edition)


In addition to my day-to-day, run-of-the-mill, blessings of food, shelter, family love, and more material goods than anyone has a right to, this Sunday I am thankful for:


1. Unanswered Prayers. Of course, I understand that prayers are answered other ways besides "yes" or "okay", but here I mean not receiving a requested favor or gift. I often think about the old Garth Brooks country song Unanswered Prayers. The chorus says,

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers. Remember when your talkin' to the man upstairs, that just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care. Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.


While awkward structurally and incorrect grammatically, the sentiment often gives me pause. When I consider things that I strongly wished for and fervently prayed for at different stages in my life, I realize that He knew best all along and gave me what I needed or what was best for me instead of what I wanted and asked for. I have to trust that some of my current "unanswered prayers" might also be in that category and that someday I'll say, "Oh, now I get it. Thank God for this unanswered prayer."


2. A serious potential buyer for our house. A couple who definitely plans to move to town is seeing it for the second time today. The RE agent is showing it to them today at 1:00. They seem undeterred and unconcerned about our (potentially their) crazy neighbor. They had the house inspected already -- it is very unusual for a buyer to do that before making an offer, so they must be serious.


3. Opportunities for continuing education. I have often said that I wish I could get paid to go to school - it is what I enjoy most and am best at! This week I got to take a computer class at no cost to me through the local school system. I didn't learn much new from the 10 hour class, but I refreshed some old knowledge and enjoyed the experience. (And I earned one more PLU - professional learning unit -- toward renewing my teaching certificate.)


4. Ease of communication. What a blessing it is to be able to find out at any time how any family member or friend is faring with whatever endeavor they are involved in. Just a quick email, or a cell-phone call, and you have contact! In the not-too-distant past communication was limited to weeks-old, or even months-old, news passed down through the grapevine or delivered by the post office unassisted by computers and mechanized sorting and packaging machines.


5. Pain Killers. Last week I watched a surgeon slice a two inch slit in my arm and carefully carve out of hunk of flesh and deposit it in a little container. I heard the sizzle and smelled the odor of burning flesh as she cauterized the blood vessels. Then I watched as she closed up the hole with stitches much as I would repair a seam in a blouse. I felt nothing but a little pressure. Oh my goodness! People used to have to endure this and much worse without anything to even dull the pain. Friday I had a migraine. It hurt like "the dickens" all day long, but some little pills dulled it down for awhile at least - long enough for me to get some sleep.


6. Fantastic spouses for my children. Who could have imagined that two such special people as my two offspring could possibly have found spouses worthy of them? I am not entirely joking with my description of my children either! Proud mama! Proud mama-in-law!


7. Second Chances. Thank goodness we don't have to get it right the first time every time!



No comments: