Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Robert K. Tanenbaum

I enjoy reading Robert K. Tanenbaum's novels. He writes fiction that keeps the reader puzzling and analyzing throughout an enjoyable read; but then, there are many writers who can write engrossing fiction. What sets Tanenbaum apart to me is his command of a extensive vocabulary. Although I have allowed some disintegration in recent years, I believe myself to have a larger vocabulary than most people; after all, word usage and methods of communication are two of my primary interests. I always find unusual words in Tanenbaum's fiction that cause me to consult the dictionary just to be sure of the meaning. I often stop just to admire his chosen means of expressing his thought in his continuing string of bestselling thrillers. I noted a few of those instances in True Justice:

...Mrs. Maxwell watched with assiduity....

....decided to accept this solecism...

... her hyacinthine hair...

....cutwater (used to identify a nose!)

...neonates...

...exculpation...

...the raddled face of...

...her daughter's conflation of infanticide and...

...augey...

...the oleaginous voice of ....

...always maundering on about...

And here are some interesting phrases:

After receiving a compliment: "Let me shuffle my feet and hang my head in becoming modesty."

"In his dull mind it (the idea of punishment) was a mere phantasm, like a job or a father."

"I thought American girls only knew how to open a package."

"Infanticide is just the abortion story writ large."

"short guy , when asked what he does for a living, 'I'm the giant in the circus, but it's my day off.'"

No comments: