Sunday, January 08, 2006

Personal Secretary or Masseuse?

If you could have free, unlimited service for 5 years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, housekeeper, masseuse, or personal secretary, which would you choose?

I read this question on corsinet, and my mind took off in all directions.

I thought of how often in years past, when my children were small and I was teaching other children full-time in public schools, I would have given my right arm for a cook or housekeeper! The responsibility of planning and serving meals using my limited funds and non-existent energy was overwhelming. (Almost any young mother would probably feel the same way.) Similarly, the ubiquitous clutter that children seem to generate created a housekeeping nightmare for this neat freak.

Nowadays, however, considering the fact that my own children are grown and away from home and my school children are mostly pleasant memories, and considering the more frequent aches and pains that seem to have come with advancing age, I believe that I would choose either a personal secretary or a masseuse. How I would like to have someone to help me organize all my "stuff" and get it on ebay (or hauled away somewhere out of my sight) before moving day is upon me! Could a personal secretary be expected to do that? OTOH, perhaps I could manage that chore just fine by myself if I had a full-time masseuse to ease the aching back that is limiting my lifting and hauling these days!

It is an interesting choice to consider; but in reality, I will continue to be my own full-time cook, housekeeper, chauffeur, and personal secretary. As for masseuse, I will have to content myself with the occasional 30-second backrub offered by hubby or ante up 50 bucks every once in a while and go back to see Tracy. (BTW, if you live near Douglasville, GA, you couldn't find a better masseuse than Tracy, whose business is called Healing Hands -- She doesn't have a webpage, but you can get phone number and other info here.)

No comments: