Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Word Play and Languages

I found another interesting site for those of us who love word-play and/or languages. This site takes any given text that you input and translates it (by computer) back and forth between 5 different languages. It reminds one of the old game of "gossip" -- the final version is often very dissimilar to the original. I will warn you, though, that it processes very slowly.

I input "Love is wasted on the young." The final version was "The love is lost in the new people." I input "Whatever will be will be" and came out with "This, that one is, is." I tried one of my favorite quotes, "The only true wealth is life." The final translation was "The only applicable abundance is the duration." I tried "Therapy is expensive; blogging is free; you do the math." After exhaustive and time-consuming work, the computer's completed version was the incomprehensible "The therapy is expensive; the blogging is free; they give to form the mathe." Is that last word English? After three error messages I gave up on, "Every day I read and write because I love to". "Mary had a little lamb. Its fleece was white as snow" also refused to be babelized. "Here am I, Lord. Send me." became "Here they gentleman. It transmits to me."

Just thought some of you might like to try it.

No comments: