Sunday, December 18, 2005

Something for Everyone on Norma's Blogs

I just "met" another amazing blogger. I had been reading one of her blogs, Collecting My Thoughts, off and on for several months, and I had visited Church of the Acronym and Coffee Spills at least a couple of times each, although I hadn't realized that the same retired librarian wrote all three. Last night Norma made a comment on one of my posts, and I discovered that she has SIX blogs! In trying to see the "big picture" this morning, I have come to the conclusion that Norma has something for everyone. Her librarian's mind is evident in the organization of her writing.

Collecting My Thoughts is a blog in which she posts some of her poetry, philosophical writing pieces, essays, stories, and commentary on news items. I got a real laugh out of a piece she wrote and linked to the 100 most often mispronounced English words. On this blog she has written about such varied topics as: rising postage prices, Social Security reform, and the medical conditions of autism and Asperger's.

Church of the Acronym is dedicated to church news, inspiring readings and motivational links. Here she deals with issues related to church and society such as the so-called Christmas Controversy of 2005.

I am not totally clear on what is included on In the Beginning. I believe she displays and critiques first issues of magazines.

Hugging and Chalking is dedicated mostly to the issue of weight control. She had an interesting post on Holiday weight gain. I also found out here that Google has a Blog Finder. Thanks for that tidbit, Norma!

Coffee Spills gives the reader slices of life as experienced in the coffee shop.

Memory Patterns links her memories of specific sewing projects with family memories, some of which give her readers visual and verbal glimpses into life in a bygone time. I enjoyed seeing pictures of old sewing patterns and in some cases those photographs linked with pictures of her family members wearing the clothing made with the patterns. BTW, wow have pattern prices jumped!

Thanks for reading -- and enjoy at least one of these blogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the most commonly mispronounced words! I am embarrassed and, frankly, surprised to have to admit that I have several pronunciations to correct in my own speech. Of course your source is more than a little pernickety!

Norma said...

You must have done your share of abstracting, indexing and summarizing in your career, because I don't think I could have summarized "me" any better.

Actually, I sort of have 7 blogs, since I also write a journal at LISNews.com, which is for librarians. However, the younger set are into Library 2.0 (or something), and most of the time I don't know what they are talking about--the field has changed a lot.

It's awesome that you and your sis both blog. My sister is identified occasionally at my blog as "someone I know." But I think she reads it.