Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas Then and Now

Several years ago, before the so-called Christmas Controversy was a popular topic of conversation, Comedian Dave Barry made this comment:

In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukka' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukka!' or (to the atheists)
'Look out for the wall!'

And concerning this week's primary occupation for many of us, Barry said,

Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall.

4 comments:

AB5SY said...

Merry Christmas...and may the World regain it senses with the New Year.

Norma said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've added a link to your site, and if you are not over 50, let me know. I'm trying to build up that group. (You are retired and have grandchildren--you should be over 50 if you are not!)

Joan said...

Thanks, AB5SY, for visiting my blog and making a comment. I enjoyed looking through your Amazing Facts blog, and I read and appreciated your tribute to Terri on that blog.

Joan said...

Wow, Norma, SIX blogs!!! I have read your posts on Collecting My Thoughts several times and always found it interesting. I intend to check out your other blogs right now. And yes, I am definitely over 50!