Monday, November 07, 2005

Travel

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)

I was impressed by this quotation when I first heard it several years ago; so I spent some time this morning searching the web for the exact wording. Interestingly, this particular quote is not often included in collections of Mark Twain quotations.

I just finished reading the most recent post on Brannon's Eurotrip. My niece is traveling in Europe for 100 days, and so far she has visited France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, and Greece. Today's entry was posted from Corfu. I am so thrilled that she has made this wonderful opportunity for herself so early in her adulthood. As an older adult who had traveled outside the United Staes little until the last few years, I also really envy this experience.

Just some musings this morning...

1 comment:

Carol said...

What a wonderful quote! I hadn't heard it until now. Thanks for sharing!