Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Yesterday's Light

 The 8th poem of the year in the Deadlines for Writers writing group is due today. The prompt is "light."  Here is the free-verse poem I submitted; it is based partially on Psalm 77. "I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night."

Yesterday's Light

On the other side of quiet, morning finds me,
Cloaked in darkness still.

No sun of joy lights the shades of gray.
A blanket of weariness, heavy and woolen, presses me down,
Obscures the light, the joy, the hope waiting to dawn. 

Yet, in the dark heavens, pinpricks of remembered light
Find my seeking heart.
Days of love, long gone, sparkle there;
Lost times of feasting glow anew;
Songs of comfort shine from nights of yore; 
Peace from the past breaks through cracks in time
To twinkle in the present dark.

Just the memory
Of unearned grace, 
Of unconditional love,
Of forgiven and forgotten sin --
Just the memory —
Brings hope of joy. 

Reaching through the dark of today,
Borrowing light from yesterday,
I rise.
I see. 
I rejoice. 

No comments: