Wednesday, July 19, 2023

My Legacy - A Sonnet

 Poem 07 for 2023 is due today; the prompt is "any." Here is the poem I submitted.

My Legacy - A Sonnet

When I have breathed my final earthly breath,

My outer shell is placed beneath the sod,

A part of me will not succumb to death -

Your memory of me as a child of God.

 

I pray that when you think or speak of me

You’ll think and speak the most important part.

Please say I loved, with every ounce of me,

My God, my land, the people of my heart.

 

Just say I loved the scent of grass and sea,

The touch of baby’s breath and summer rain.

And that inking words on paper met a need

For making sense of pleasure, strife, and pain.

 

When life is gone, and my time is summed and judged,

Please say my legacy remains - I loved. 

No comments: