Wednesday, May 24, 2023

My Cluttered Mind

 It's poetry deadline day in the Deadlines for Writers group. Prompt is "secret." Here's my entry (still in need of polishing.)

My Cluttered Mind

I have a little secret in the corner of my mind.

It’s back behind the poem I memorized when I was nine.

That memory beside it of cooking with my granny

Even has the smell of snickerdoodles. That’s uncanny!

 

And there I’m in the bathroom – just watching grandpa shavin’

Fresh out of the corner where I’d stood for misbehavin’

But my mind’s not filled with just dreams from long ago.

Part is for reminders to keep me going with the flow.

 

That box behind the memory rack is filled with future dates.

I gotta buy retirement gifts for two long-time workmates.

Doctor trips and grocery lists and lots of bills to pay

Fill the space behind the sign "To Do without Delay.”

 

The shelves for basic knowledge are piled up to the ceiling.

Policies, procedures, Bible verses, ways of dealing,

Relationships, vocab and facts, how-tos for this and that.

Mother Goose, Doctor Suess, Ferdinand and Cat in the Hat.

 

My mind is filled with so much multi-categoried junk

It’s surprising that I found a little spot in which to tuck

My confidential secret - my own private bagatelle.

I think I’m going to leave it hid. Nope, I’ll never tell.

No comments: