Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Man Not Taken

The Poetry Prompt for May in the poetry division of the Deadlines for Writers website was "taken." We had one month to write a poem on that topic.  I submitted this one today. It is a parody of The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

The Man Not Taken

Two suitors said my hand they sought,
And knowing I could not marry both
And be one partner, long I thought
And pondered one whose faults were naught.
Who promised to provide more growth.

Then I chose the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
For he was strong and debonair,
And, as for faults, they were not there.
So both men scored about the same.

Though both that night had great appeal,
With brilliant minds and loving hearts,
The die was cast; I’d sealed the deal.
And knowing that the choice was real
I set my sail and played my part.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two suitors sought my hand, and I –
I took the one that caught my eye,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments: