Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - My Edition 61 - Unfinished Posts

Thirteen Blogposts I have Started but Never Finished




I have sometimes described myself as a "compulsive finisher." That is an apt description most of the time - I find it difficult to leave a job half-done. I believe that this is a common attribute of perfectionists - we put off starting a job because we don't want to start what we won't have time or energy to complete. This morning I set out to finish up a couple of blog posts and rediscovered several embryonic pieces that I had forgotten about. Here are 13 of them:

1. Back in June of 2006 I started a post I titled "Teenagers: Work or School?" I never finished this one because I see both sides of that issue and never could draw satisfactory conclusions.
2. In January 2007, collected several interesting jokes, quotes, etc. about the use of prepositions and intended to incorporate them into a humorous post.
3. In March of 2007 I set out to write about the merits of poetry and some tips for writing it.
4. April last year was a big year for false starts in my writing. I drafted a post purportedly to teach the 8 parts of speech and their usage.
5. Also in April 2007 I wanted to pontificate on the background of the word "vocation" and what it means.
6. I had a flash of insight and inspiration on how a wide base of general knowlege is essential to reading success.
7-9. My brain flashes in April 2007 continued with just-begun posts on: How Doctors Think, Use of Time, and Setting Goals.
10. In May I intended to write a Mother's Day post, but you know what they say about good intentions...
11. In July I wanted to write a post about Bread. I gathered information about the etymology of the word, both in English and in Spanish as well as the Biblical analogy of Jesus as the Bread of Life.
12-13. Before our cruise in November, I prepared an individual post about each port of call on the cruise. I pasted in back-ground information on each port city and planned to add in personal information from our experience there. Oops! Never got around to finishing those 8 or 10 posts!

5 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

These sound well worth completing. (You're better than I am. I can't stand the sight of an unpublished draft and will delete it after a day or two!)

Anonymous said...

Boy, I have a stack of unfinished blog posts too. Mine are not as ambitious and much more mundane. You have great ideas!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I'd have enjoyed reading some of those, particularly #4.

SJ Reidhead said...

My list is the Blog Critics articles I have half way finished.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Carol said...

I have unfinished posts, too. However, usually when I go back and look at my drafts, I end up deleting them. They sounded good at the time, but after awhile, they just don't inspire me anymore. However, yours sound interesting still.