Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday Seven - 41st Edition

There is so much to be thankful for in life. Even when things are not going well; even when there seem to be endless family problems to be concerned about; even when good people you know are enduring hardships they don't deserve; even when some you love most are battling depression, even when it seems that everyone else has "things" you'd like to have -- even then, life is GOOD if we choose to see if from a positive standpoint.

1. Our pastor preached this morning about thinking. He used the apostle Paul's words in Philippians (4:8-9) to encourage us to direct our thinking onto things that are "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy." Paul said that the "God of Peace" will be with those who do so. I am seeking to more completely control the directions my thoughts take.

2. We have had unseasonably warm weather since Christmas, and some of the spring plants have begun to bud, and the hint of color in the bushes and trees lightens our hearts. Today the temperature is below 20 degrees and the plants may suffer some damage as a result of the "fake Spring" they have been enjoying. However, since Georgia weather follows this pattern many years, maybe our plants have adapted and will still do their thing with the usual beautiful result when Spring actually does arrive.

3. I am thankful that we Americans have the privilege of voting for our leaders. Although I am discouraged at the paucity of desirable candidates for president, we DO have a choice. Relative to that contest, I am also thankful that our TV sets have controls that allow us to turn off the nauseating media coverage of political events.

4. My DH gave me a new Ipod Nano last week. I have spent endless hours sitting here trying to get it set up to hold my digital photos and CD novels so that I can look and listen as I walk for exercise. I have become very frustrated working with it; but I am thankful for an (mostly) adequate mind to learn new information and use technology. I realize too what a blessing it is to have a devoted spouse after 44 years of marriage.

5. We have great, congenial, helpful, and considerate neighbors. Having had very difficult neighbors in the past, I realize what a blessing good neighbors can be. You might remember a few of my posts about CC, whose name I won't post (but the first C in his acronym stands accurately for 'Crazy.')

6. We have taken our albatross house off the market and have renters lined up beginning next month. Perhaps we can rent it for a year or so until the housing market improves and we can sell it without taking such a huge loss. We hope, at least, that the rent will cover many of the expenses and the house will be more attractive as an occupied dwelling.

7. Oh the gift of communication! How great is it that we can share, orally and in writing, our thoughts with others?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear that you have renters for your albatross. It IS a beautiful house. It just has an ugly neighbor. Debi

Anonymous said...

Great that you have renters for the house. Also glad that you have good neighbors where you live now - especially that neighbor who lives down your street, across the road and down that other road. LOL!

Shari said...

You sound very appreciative. And good neighbors is something to get excited about. I am blessed with that right now, too.