Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Edition 51 for me - Imagery in Shakespeare's Writing

Thirteen word images, originally created by William Shakespeare, that have become common expressions
1... "The quality of mercy is not strain'd. /It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven/Upon the place beneath./It is twice blest:/It blesseth him that gives and him that takes." --From Merchant of Venice (IV, I, (184-186)

2...."What a piece of work is man! --From Hamlet (II, ii, 115-117)


3...."Good night, good night! /Parting is such sweet sorrow." -- From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 185)


4...."What's in a name? /That which we call a rose/By any other name would smell as sweet."
--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)


5...."My words fly up, my thoughts remain below:/ Words without thoughts never to heaven go." --From Hamlet (III, iii, 100-103)


6...."Why, then the world's mine oyster,/ Which I with sword will open." --From The Merry Wives of Windsor (II, ii, 2-3)


7...."If music be the food of love, play on/;Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,/The appetite may sicken, and so die." --From Twelfth Night (I, i,1-3)


8...."Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't." --From Hamlet (II, ii, 206) (method in the madness)


9...."Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em." --From Twelfth Night (II, v, 156-159)


10...."And thus I clothe my naked villany/ With odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ,/ And seem a saint, when most I play the devil." --From King Richard III (I, iii, 336-338)


11...."Lord, what fools these mortals be!" --From A Midsummer Night's Dream (III, ii, 115)


12.... "This above all: to thine own self be true". - - From Hamlet (Act I, Scene III)


13...."The smallest worm will turn, being trodden on". -- (From King Henry IV, Part III
Act II, Scene II).

No comments: