While we were all counting letters a few weeks ago to find 13 13-letter words and phrases, we also came up with a few common (and some not so common, but nevertheless, useful) Latin Phrases composed of 13 letters. See if you can work a few of these into your conversations this week.
1. Semper fidelis - Always faithful - the motto of the United States Marines
2. Semper paratus - Always prepared - something we should always be - especially scouts!
3. Adeste Fideles - Be present, faithful ones - We know this one from the Christmas Carol, "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful".
4. Veritas vincit - Truth conquers
5. Summa cum laude - With highest honor.
8. Obesa cantavit - The fat lady has sung (it's all over)
9. Cogito ergo sum - I thnk, therefore I am.
10. Si vis amari, ama - If you wish to be loved, love. (Seneca)
11. Ubi mel ibi apes - Where honey, there bees, (if you want support, you must offer something in return)
12. E pluribus unum - One from many (adopted in 1782 to appear on the Great Seal of the United States, representing the unity of the original 13 colonies)
13. Ad multos annos - To many years!, i.e. Many happy returns! - And until next week, ad multos annos to each of you, my dear readers!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants