Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Bag of Tools by R.L. Sharpe

Posting that Rachel Field poem reminded me of one by another author that I memorized as a child and can still quote. I had to google it to find the author's name and to be sure of the title, but the text of the poem is permanently in my mind. (The text I found was very slightly different from my version; but since it was printed there simply as remembered by someone else, I print the poem as I remember it here.)

A Bag Of Tools
By: R. L. Sharpe
Isn't it strange
That princes and kings,
And clowns that caper
In sawdust rings,
And common folks
Like you and me
Are builders of eternity?
To each is given
a book of rules,
A shapeless mass
and a kit of tools;
And each must make
- Ere life is flown -
A stumbling block
Or a steppingstone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both of the bands The Heptones and Oasis made songs using thi poem. Literally using it word for word

Anonymous said...

My sixth grade teacher wrote this on the blackboard in 1946. I have carried it in my memory ever since.

Anonymous said...

The Oasis song didn't use it word for word. Noel changed the meaning round, and quite nicely too.

Boney Wizpops

Anonymous said...

I love this poem. I am writing my Family Memerios. I would love to use parts of this poem as words to encouage my grand children after I am gone. It is so true, its all up to me or you to use the tools we have. Emmaparidomo