Sunday, January 01, 2006

Today's the Day - Monthly Marathon Begins!

Today's the day! We are supposed to get rain here in our area today, so I will probably start the Monthly Marathon by walking inside on the treadmill after church and lunch today. I plan to walk my marathon about a mile at a time at least 26 days a month ---maybe a mile and a half 18 days a month.

Yesterday I got a jump-start on the plan. (I know I can't count it; I just wanted to mention it!) My husband and I walked for about a mile on the Silver Comet Trail. We got on the trail at the nearest trailhead in Hiram, Georgia, about 12 miles from our house. We had to make a business trip out that direction, so we took the opportunity to get in a little walk while we were near an entry spot for the trail.

The weather was perfect, and the cyclers and walkers were out in force. Neither hubby nor I was feeling very well, so we kept the walk short and not very vigorous, but we walked. That trail is beautiful; such a peaceful and refreshing place to be; I wish we had felt like getting in a long and energetic walk. A year or so ago, before I started having so much trouble with my back, I walked there a couple of times a week, often for a couple of hours at a time. What is there about being outside for extended periods that is so soul-satisfying?

No comments: