Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thanksgiving - Then and Now

Ruth, of the blog Ruthlace, wrote a fascinating reminiscence piece this morning about cooking in the 1930's. I had never realized where the expression "cooking from scratch" came from. I was happy to learn the origin of the expression.

I guess it is a good thing that I was not a young homemaker in the 1930's. What a chore cooking was then! I am inclined to resent having to spend an hour getting a meal put together; but those women spent virtually all day long most days cooking, cleaning up from meals, and preparing food to cook again.

With today's conveniences, I can usually get a decent meal on the table when necessary -- one that is nutritious and fairly palatable -- but cooking is not something I enjoy doing or an activity from which I derive satisfaction.

I guess that one of the things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving is that my mother and some of my sisters ARE good cooks and DO enjoy cooking -- and I get to eat what they have cooked. YUM! Bring on the turkey and its yummy companions.

No comments: