Sunday, October 29, 2023

Writing Notebook 1990-1994 - Thanksgiving Poems 1990 and 1991

In October 2023, in an effort to clean out and "get our affairs in order," I found a writing journal from the early 1990s. I have transcribed several of those pieces here for posterity. 

Thanksgiving 1990

 I am thankful for

·         Inclusion in the family of God, in the family of man, and in my family.

·         A husband who brings home flowers just because he loves me and knows that I love flowers.

·         A daughter who is my best girlfriend.

·         A son who still calls to say he loves me.

·         A daughter-in-law who is just what I prayed for.

·         A mother who gives the cliche “one in a million” meaning.

·         Siblings who are contributing to a better world.

·         A family that loves unconditionally.

·         Heritage - both personal and Christian.

·         Words - both the beauty of the words themselves and the fact that through them I can share the thoughts of other people, and they can share mine.

·         People who know that laws and rules apply to them.

·         The Church universal.

·         Young people with old fashioned values.

·          Students who want to learn.

·         Students who actually see other people.

·         Walks outdoors in the early morning.

·         Chocolate.

·         Avondale Lake and the ducks.

·         Warm blankets on a cold night.

·         Loving arms around me.

·         Listening ears.

·         The knowledge that even this shall pass.

·         The knowledge that “This is the day the Lord hath made.”

·          Life.


Thanksgiving 1991

The giving of thanks involves my

Head as well as my heart.

Acknowledging that God knows best, I recognize that I need him more than I

Need understanding of life.

Knowing that I cannot deal with life tragedies, I

Sing praises to the one who understands and loves me through them.

Gifts of great joy adorn my life from day-to-day.

I give thanks for the source of that joy - those who

Voice their love for me and those who

Imply their love through actions of support and help.

Now for the truest blessings in life - fellowship with and love of

God, family, and friends - I truly give thanks.

 

No comments: