Sunday, October 29, 2023

Rachael - First Grandbaby - And the Beat Goes On

Yesterday I found a writing folder from 1992. You might recall that this was before computer use was common and before the internet was fully developed. In this folder, I found a letter I had handwritten (carefully using only every other line so I'd have room to revise) to our newborn granddaughter. Rachael was born 13 months after her older sister, Caitlin, was stillborn. Here is that letter and a poem I wrote a year later. I had to restrain myself from my tendency to continue editing, but I have typed here just what was written there.  

You came into our lives on an icy December day, bringing sunshine, hope, and wonder. I gazed upon your perfect features and marveled to see your daddy's eyes looking back at me from your delicate newborn face. A replica of your mother's dainty lips pursed in thought. 

While I stood peering - acutely aware of your origins in the past, I was overcome with the knowledge that your are also the embodiment of the future - our hopes and dreams - our immortality. In you, we see, not only you, but also our own influence continuing into the generations yet to be. You are potential. All of life is before you. You can avoid the mistakes and faults that have marred our lives. You are free to develop YOUR personality and talents - free to become YOUR best.

I wish you, Darling Rachael, a childhood that provides security and happiness, and a sense of your self-worth. Along with these blessings, I wish for you the knowledge that as you mature, these privileges bring with them the responsibilities of right living. I wish for you (1) an understanding that there is a purpose for your life and (2) a desire to find and fulfill that purpose. For, in realizing that desire, you will find lifelong happiness. 

My notes ended there, unedited. A few page further on, I found this acrostic poem.

Rachael - Age 1

Reaching - in, out, up

Adding to the beauty in life, in others, in the world

Curious

Happy

Aware of no hate malice, envy

Energetic

Loving



No comments: