Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Remembering the Laughter

The eighth poem prompt is "laughter." At first I thought I would have to just not submit a poem this month since laughter was so far from my experience. This entire month has been spent in dark concern and grief when my younger sister had a series of small strokes followed by a massive one, and we watched in helplessness as her physical condition deteriorated through the weeks. She fought to stay with us; she struggled to communicate; the agony was unbearable; and the struggle was, in the end, futile. I created this painting and wrote this poem in loving memory of my precious "baby sister" Sharlyn Beth Shaw Roszel, 12/19/1954 - 08/05/2022. 



(Original painting "Mourning Roses" depicts Beth's 5 grandchildren mourning the loss of their grandmother.) 

When my grieving overwhelms me and there’s little else but pain, 

When it seems that brightening sunshine will never come again, 

When I think of how your leaving caused the good in life to wane,  

It’s the mem’ry of your smile 

that soothes my pain.  

   

In the midst of darkest mourning,  

As an anchor in the storming, 

It’s the mem’ry of your laughter 

That sustains. 

No comments: