Saturday, November 04, 2023

Lyn's Story about her 13th Birthday

 This was printed in the May 16, 1997 issue of the Mountain Echo {Fort Daniel Elementary School (Gwinnett County)} newsletter. Lyn was teaching 5th grade there the year she wrote this for the Birthday Spotlight.

It was my 13th birthday and I was opening gifts with my family when I unwrapped one of the most special gifts I've ever received. It was a square, flat present that I assumed was a record for the stereo that I had gotten for Christmas. However, inside the Gary Puckett and the Union Gap album jacket there was no such record, but an invitation.  To celebrate my becoming a teenager, my dad was inviting me on my first "date." It was an evening I'll never forget - just my dad and me. I got dressed up in a long light blue dress I had worn in my aunt's wedding and stood excitedly as Mom pinned a beautiful red carnation corsage on me.  We had reservations at a fancy restaurant, and that in itself was new and exciting to me. I'll never forget the feeling of walking proudly through the sea of tables to our seat on my dad's arm. I remember everything I had to eat that night, but the most wonderful part was the conversation. Through the entire evening I had my dad's undivided attention.  He listened to every word I said, laughed at all my jokes, and responded to me with enthusiasm equal to mine. He made me feel not only like an adult, but like a queen. To this day, that evening is one of the best gifts I've ever received.



1 comment:

Carol said...

I love this! I’ve always loved both Jim and Lyn are both wonderful people. I’m so glad they are part of my family.