Sunday, October 29, 2023

A Niece's 40th Anniversary Tribute

This document was found in October 2023 contained in a writing notebook belonging to me from 1990)

When Jim was pastor at Avondale Patillo UMC 1990-1994, My Uncle Grady (Daddy’s brother) and his wife, Margaret, were members of our church. When they celebrated their 40th anniversary in 1992, I wrote a poem for them.

 

The Family Plan

I think when the Lord made his plan for the world -

How his children would grow and their lives would unfurl,

He decided that families would be a good way to go.

He made mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, and so

As  generatios came and generations went,

An eventual byproduct was the uncle and aunt.

 

My siblings and I were better supplied than many

In uncles. We had four. That's plenty!

Our uncles were Daddy’s much-loved kid brothers.

 Their kidding and joking spilled over on others.

As nieces and nephews we kids love playing games

 With our fun filled uncles Jack, Bill, Grady, and James.

 

Our uncle Grady was a great friend to us kids.

Let me just tell you some things that he did.

He gave each of us nickles to go to the store.

Running errands for him was never a chore.

He played with us often and took us for walks.

 If we got too rowdy, he'd give us pep talks.

 

He laughed with us and at us. his laugh was a cure!

He tickled and teased us, helping us feel secure.

He entertained us with stories and blew us smoke ring;s

He was a kid’s ideal uncle -- an Angel without wings.

 

Aunt Margaret joined the family when I was a teen;

She was quite an addition to the Shaw family scene.

She was tall with such grace and a beautiful smile -

Our first aunt on the Shaw side -- we were growing in style!

I thought my new aunt was quite a grand lady;

But she made us call Uncle Junior “Uncle Grady.”

 

Years have gone by since the days I've recalled;

Now when I think back and remember it all,

I thank God for his wisdom and making this plan -

Where a family can be more than just one woman and one man.

 Family can be those who touch our lives with their care,

Who help build our memories and cover us with prayer.

 

 

Thank you, Grady and Margaret, for all you have meant to each of us through the years. Thank you for the childhood years that the poem majored on and the memories that we share with you. Thank you also for the years of our adulthood when you have been an inspiration and support to us. We love you and celebrate with you 40 years of God bless partnership.

 

Joan Turrentine

 July 1992

No comments: